WHY I‘M NOT PART OF THE “HAPPY NEW MONTH” CAMPAIGN. By PHILIP DIMKA

It is the great worship leader, Matt Redman, who declared in his song, Mercy, that “may I never lose the wonder, Oh, the wonder of your mercy…” The desire here is to remain at the point in your life where you never lose sight of the miracle of the 60th second of the clock that gives birth to today, from yesterday; or from this moment to the next.

It is fundamental that you realize that there is no difference between the ticks of the clock that makes the time 10am from the one that moves for 11.59pm to 12am- midnight. In fact, there isn’t any difference between last night to morning, today and the 31st December night into the New Year. Longkat Ephraim simply threw this fact at me many years ago but I recently came to this zenith of understanding and the significance thereof.

Nigerians, with our love for celebrations and occasion will celebrate everything! From birthdays to death-days, school graduations to promotions, a new house to new jobs, everything you can think about. Including new months.
But WHAT’S WRONG WITH CELEBRATING A NEW MONTH? Nothing wrong. But I think the real question should be why wait to thank God for a new month when you can equally do that for a new week, a new day, even a new hour or a new second? Why not HAPPY NEW MOMENT, every moment?

The HAPPY NEW MONTH thing is now trivialized…people just receive & forward messages they get to all their contacts on WhatsApp without even reading them. It has become a mere tradition with no sense of importance attached to it. It just something you do at the end of every month and at the start of each. Yesterday I noticed people now have a message to end the month with.

My point is Nigerians must never lose the wonder of waking up every morning. You and I must never make light of the miracle having to take every “fleeting breath” because we will one day never wake up to it. We must not wait until month end to circulate some new month messages, but wake up daily knowing it’s a new moment that we must be thankful for.  

Trust me, if you are never in awe of having to take every single breath you have been given, you can never be properly thankful at the end of each New Month.
Yes, you can send messages to your loved ones at the end and start of a new month. Yes, you can join the happy new month gang; as long as treasure every moment of your gifted life and provided you pray daily for your friends and family and never have to wait until month end to send a special message.

Do not forget to pray like Matt Redman (and I think you should download his song, Mercy) that MAY I NEVER LOOSE THE WONDER, OH THE WONDER OF YOUR MERCY.
Again, forgive me if I never have to join the Team Happy New Month.


I rest my keypad. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YESU YA NA DA DADI- Emma Jesse

IN HIS PRESENCE- Emma Jesse

ANNOUNCING A TEN THOUSAND [10,000] NAIRA PRIZE FOR LITERARY APPRAISALS OF ALEPPO – A Poem by Obu UDEOZO