THE EFFECT OF SOCIAL MEDIA: WHY YOU SHOULD USE YOUR HARDCOPY BIBLE MORE INSTEAD OF ELECTRONIC DEVICES

As the World digs deeper into its expression of life using Information Communication Technology & the Internet, we have seen these advancements rub on every area of life even the Christian life. After the previous articles about whether or not we must use ebibles, I have been greeted by several feedback some for and others against.
It is pertinent therefore, that we understand the issue at hand. Using these devices is not a sin (I believe some readers would want this to be stated clearly); but how we employ their use in relation to our faith is the contention we have. That is the crust of our concern.  I have sat in worship services and observe how first I struggle to manage the use of my device and most especially how young people never mind their dealings online even in the very presence of God. My basic question is first, where is your hard copy Bible? Why do you find it hard to use it regularly? Aren’t you concerned you are gradually building an unhealthy habit? That aside. This is why I think you should tilt more towards using your hard copy bible than smart phones/tablets in worships services; even in your private study (from varied perspectives I gathered).


“It shows the Bible is important to you, to the greater glory of God. This is not a Law but kind of an indication. It does not on the other hand serve as the absolute indication but shows how we are committed to the living word. This is not to say when we use other devices, we cheapen hard text. No. You indirectly reinforce the uniqueness of God’s Word.


You’ll eliminate a temptation factor. Though you might be able to resist giving your e-mail a quick check or sending a text to a friend, the willpower of others around you might not be so strong. Why risk luring others into the land of distraction when you’re both to be about worshiping God together and building each other up?
“It’s testimony to your neighbors, to see you carrying it daily. Further, it’s an example to others in your church, including the children.”
We now live in a generation where people become shy of picking up their bibles, but feel comfortable carrying piles of DVDs, fancy phones, gadgets, etc. Everybody just wants it simple. Actually there is nothing wrong with simple…but it becomes a breeding ground for a fall away. Hold your Bibles.
You’ll maximize your ability to understand your Bible. Sure, you can look up multiple translations on a smartphone, but that doesn’t hold a candle to being able to see a Scripture in its surrounding context at a glance. Unless you’re really working your mobile app hard, you’re just not going to get the context in your head and even if you do, it will have been so time-consuming that the speaker will be way down the road from where you are by then. You don’t look at the world through a paper-towel tube, so why look at your Bible through a three-verse window?
“It prepares you to participate in the service, at times when the Scriptures are read.”
It isn’t holier to read the scripture on plain paper than on a device. It would be too much to declare that. But the truth remains studying with our hard bound in a group can me more facilitated and enhanced than using mobile devices.
You’ll usually be quicker on the draw. I’ve tried a number of electronic Bibles, PDAs, and smartphones. Only very rarely can I look up a passage faster on a mobile electronic device than I can in my paper Bible. By the time someone has just navigated through the menus I’m already just about there or have been there for awhile. Especially if my paper Bible has index tabs. When I get beat is when it’s a rather obscure reference (i.e. – Nahum 2:13). Must I even mention that bound Bibles never lose their charge or need to be reset, either?
 Research now shows a decrease in what scientists call deep reading because our Kindle brain differs from our paper brain. It’s called the bi-literate brain. Our brain uses different circuits depending on whether we are reading from paper or plasma. Plasma reading encourages more non-linear reading (skimming and browsing when our eyes dart around), whereas paper reading encourages more linear reading, deeper reading. I’ve found that paper reading forces me to read a bit slower. I realize how I’ve missed slower and deeper Bible reading. More tactile involvement with paper reading has also increased my attention. The feel of leather and the texture of the thin paper when I turn a page to look up a Scripture has enhanced my engagement with God’s Word. The more senses we use, the more engaged we become.
Charles Stone noted that “In my paper Bible, I had often scribbled notes and insights in the margins that I had learned from others or from my own study. As I read my paper Bible now, I also read these notes. They remind of God’s past faithfulness when His Spirit taught me then”.
It is true that it is really simple to use a Bible app as a concordance to search on a particular word or phrase to cross-reference Bible verses instantly. This is much easier to do on a digital device than it is in your Bible’s limited dictionary/concordance. But this cannot be take the place of in-depth study with our text.  
I will add that although using digital devices for Bible study and reference is very useful, occasionally, I am self-conscious about this as I don’t want people to think that I am texting or checking email or actually fall to the temptation of doing that or going online.
Importantly, we must deal with urge to always hold on to our devices while in worship as a result of an already besetting addiction in other to concentrate fully on the Lord. Our devotion therefore, is more important than whether you are using a mobile device or hard copy bible.

Grace & Peace be with you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YESU YA NA DA DADI- Emma Jesse

IN HIS PRESENCE- Emma Jesse

ANNOUNCING A TEN THOUSAND [10,000] NAIRA PRIZE FOR LITERARY APPRAISALS OF ALEPPO – A Poem by Obu UDEOZO